Monday, February 15, 2010

supermarket theatrics

Kiddo doesn't really like shopping carts, and never really has. So, for the most part, she runs free, which causes problems. We do grocery shopping as a family, so that usually means one parent has the cart, while the other has the kid.

Last Saturday, I was debating which product to buy when Kiddo ran down the aisle from my husband to me. She tripped along the way, fell to her knees, then fully down, and skidded a little. I always take my cues from her as to how serious the fall is, so I waited to see her reaction (although it looked pretty impressive, so I was ready to run and pick her up). She informed me "fell down." Since she wasn't upset, I acted less upset. "Oh, well, get up then" and I kept shopping.

She knows Daddy is much better at sympathy, so she headed back in his direction. She told him how she fell down, then re-enacted the fall. And then she did it again, and again, and again. We eventually had to pick her up so that she would find something else to do rather than lie prostrate on the gross grocery store floor, showing us "fall down."

It's clear she was not hurt.