Saturday, February 13, 2010

anticipating Sundays

Our new church isn't like our old church. So, the doctrine is the same, and the people are great, but there are major differences as well.

The first has been well documented by me, the lack of a peer group, and thus a nursery for my child. Something may be in place eventually. I just hope it happens by the time I bring my second child to church (about 2 1/2 months from now). I don't think I can take care of them both for the three hours. (Yes, my husband is there, and ever willing to help. But somehow Kiddo has decided that only I will do. A crying 2 year old detracts from church, so she stays with me.)

The second is the time. Church used to be at 12:30, which meant with some careful planning all we needed were a few snacks for Kiddo to get her through the meetings. Now it is from 11 - 2. There is no way to avoid bringing a full lunch, plus snacks to this event. In addition, we rarely just go for church. There are often meetings beforehand, or choir practice afterward, or other events that call for our attention. We spend most of our Sunday at church, which wears us all out.

Take tomorrow for example. Both my husband and I need to be at a meeting that starts at 9:30, then we'll stay until the end of church. I'm grateful to be needed, but how am I supposed to bring enough stuff to keep Kiddo occupied for 6 hours? and fed? and while we're feeding, what about me, at almost seven months pregnant? I need a lot of food at this point. I think Kiddo will be watching movies on the iPod for the first set of meetings (the extra ones). I think she and I will walk the halls a lot to help her burn off energy during some of the others.

I love church, and would feel terrible to miss it. It fills me in ways I don't completely understand, but do not want to miss. In addition, it's one of the most important ways I show my devotion and obedience to my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. For that alone I want to always attend. But sometimes by Saturday night, I'm not sure I'm ready for the next day.