Wednesday, February 3, 2010

return to the DMV

My husband called Tuesday morning and said, "Let's try the driver's license thing again today." We thought, Tuesday afternoon, how busy could it be? Once again, we failed to give credit to the fact that we live in a urban environment, with the number of people that come with that. The DMV was packed. This time though, they only tried to kick my husband out when they thought he was waiting for me. Once they figured out he also needed to get paperwork done they let him stay.

We waited in a line to get the right paperwork. Then we waited in a line to make sure we had brought proper documentation to prove our existence. Then we waited in line to get new licenses. (Oddly enough, I was six-months pregnant in my last license photo too.) Then my husband waited in line to change our title and registration. Each line moved at a relatively good pace, but still, there were a lot of lines and a lot of people, so it certainly wasn't quick. Kiddo was a trooper, and only laid down on the gross floor two or three times (blegh!). It isn't easy to watch her and fill out paperwork, or communicate with the DMV workers, so I was grateful that there were two parents there.

An interesting moment came when they asked for my weight. I'm six months pregnant. Do I really have to write down that weight? I settled for the average of my pre-pregnancy weight, and my post-pregnancy goal. I figure that's more accurate than most women's drivers licenses. And, the number isn't even there, I guess it's just for their computer records.

[A side note about pregnancy growth. At a church activity the other night, they were handing out t-shirts. My husband was not there. They asked me what size he wanted, I indicated a large would be good. Then they suggested I wanted a large too. I responded that, in fact, I would not be this size forever, and it was not a good idea to suggest that I was the same size as my husband. He's at least six inches taller, and I refuse to admit we would ever wear the same size. The person offering the size quickly retracted his statement, and the story makes me laugh.]