Tuesday, February 9, 2010

comprehending a sibling

Almost as long we've known I was pregnant, we've been telling Kiddo about it. Mostly she either gave us a blank look or ignored us, which either means she doesn't understand what we're talking about, or doesn't care. But she did like looking through my books about pregnancy, especially looking at the pictures of the "baby in the mama's tummy."

On Sunday, I guess I finally looked enough pregnant (i.e. matched the pictures) that she exclaimed, "Mama has baby in tummy!" So she finally seems to know. She even brought up the idea independently while talking to Grammy yesterday.

Today we were visiting the midwife, and thus spent some time in the waiting room. We talked to her once again about the baby, and she asked where the baby in mama's tummy was, then proceeded to take a look down my shirt to see if she could find it. Although it took me off guard, I totally should have been expecting that.

ps - All is well. Growing well, healthy, and on track for an April baby still. We got to visit the labor/delivery area. No surprise, it looks like a hospital.