Friday, July 23, 2010

two vanquished fears

About a year ago I made my semi-annual visit to the dermatologist. (I have rosacea.) She also checked in on a large-ish mole on my back which my husband had pointed out should be looked at again. Since it was both larger than the approved size and multi-colored, she suggested we take it off. She was pretty sure it was fine, but better safe than sorry. So, I set an appointment to take care of it sometime the next month.

In that period of a month, my dermatologist moved and I got pregnant. So when I called before my appointment to check on how the pregnancy would affect things, I talked to someone who didn't really know my case. And she said I should definitely wait until after the baby was born.

For the last year I have been vaguely nervous about the ever changing mole (it got rounder while I was pregnant, big surprise given the skin movement for that occasion) on my back. I finally called a new dermatologist on Monday. They scheduled me in for an appointment on Wednesday. After 1 1/2 hours of waiting with my infant (while my husband bravely took on the sick toddler at home) (and in which time I saw multiple people come in, get seen, and leave, arghh!) I saw the doctor. He looked at it, said, I don't think it's a problem, but there are some things that are better in a jar than on our skin. A few minutes later he reappeared with a physician's assistant to remove the mole. Ten minutes later it was gone. All I could think was "I worried for a year about something that could be fixed so simply????"

I'll know in two weeks that truly all is well. And I'm glad this is taken care of.

***

I took both girls to the store by myself the other day. Three stores in fact. I didn't lose either of them (really only a concern for the bigger one). And neither screamed throughout the store (a possibility for both). I did have the advantage that Kiddo's shoes hurt her feet, so she stayed in the cart for the grocery store. But she bravely put them back on to walk the half a block to our house, because I didn't have enough hands (or strength) to carry her and the full car seat.

Now I know I can take them to the store. And while it won't be a daily occurrence, and should only happen when we only have a few things to buy, I'm grateful to know I can.