Tuesday, July 27, 2010

thoughts unrelated to my children

My vacation spoiled me, and I forgot that I have to move the car twice a week. About 1 pm I yelled "Shoot!", herded Kiddo out the door at record speed, prayed Babs would be fine for three minutes in her swing and ran out to move the car. I was too late. The ticket was already there. I still moved my car for good measure (largely because there was a spot across the street). At least the street sweeper can do his job in peace.

My congressman sent out a mailer touting his good works. He bragged about all the money he's shepherded to our area because of his position on the ways and means committee. He told us 1) if he didn't send the pork to us, it would just go somewhere else. Okay, I accept the truth of that statement. 2) The more money we get from the federal government, the less money we have to contribute to get the work done, specifically in the form of property taxes. While it's true that more federal money for projects means less local taxes, but who does he think is paying for the federal government? Oh yeah, my children. I guess this is a good deal.

Why do I feel sheepish about changing pediatricians? I wish my old pediatrician didn't have to know...

Because our house is cooled by window A/C units, some places in our home still aren't so cool. And we're definitely more in tune with the weather outside. This is challenging because the weather is hot, but I'm actually grateful that I have time to think about the heat, and recognize that it's part of life, and live it. I feel less insulated from reality here, and I like that. And this state of affairs made me totally love stepping outside with Kiddo on Sunday when it was only in the low 70s for about an hour, and enjoying that weather too.