Monday, July 28, 2008

trying out her agency

My daughter is figuring out that she can make choices. She has been making choices for a long time, but she seems to be figuring out that she doesn't have to go along with what I choose for her. This shows up in various ways.

She loves to be read to - but only the books she likes. My husband claims that I am projecting my own reading tastes, and she doesn't really have opinions. But, when we're reading a book she likes, she listens, kicks her legs, and occasionally makes happy noises. If she doesn't like the book, she keeps looking at the other things around her (most usually the pile of books nearby because it doesn't take long to get through her books) until I change books.

She also spits. She has figured out how to blow with her tongue, and make little spitting noises. She's been doing it for a few weeks now, and we thought it was cute, but has just learned to apply it eating. As the spoon approaches, she opens her mouth (you never know what I've put on it) to get the food. If she likes it, if it's what she wants, she swallows. If not, she immediately starts spitting, which means the bulk of it runs down her chin, but much gets on her tray and on me. She continues spitting until she gets what she wants. So, while butternut squash was good enough at lunch, it was a no go at dinner. Nor was her favorite rice cereal (which is clearly not so favorite any more).

I know that this is just the beginning, but it makes me think of when I was first trying to help her drink from a bottle. One morning as I was holding it for her, and she was gumming at it, and squeezing the nipple with her fist, I told her "I want you to feel control over drinking from this, but I want you to do it my way."