Tuesday, July 15, 2008

being a girl OR it's always fun when grandma comes

When I was young, and thought about having kids, I wanted boys. This is to be expected, as I really only had experience with boys, because I have lots of brothers, and not so many sisters (which was even more true when I was little). As I got older I realized that I had a lot to offer girls in terms of being a role model, and it seemed to me that I would have girls. Then came the frightening moment when I realized I could teach little girls how to be smart, successful, spiritual, accomplished, and confident, but could teach them nothing of the finer girl arts of make-up, hair, accessories, etc. (And don't misunderstand, I recognize that these are truely important skills for a woman to have.)

My first plan to fix this was to move next door to either 1) my little sister, or 2) my sister-in-law. So far, this has not happened. But, Grandma came to visit this weekend (YAY!) and started the education.

She helped my little girl have an actual hair style.She helped her learn about accessories like hair bows and watches.
And the increasingly fashionable high ponytail. (I read about it online, so it must be in style.)
And that a lady should always have a good purse.
We're all better off for having this visit from Grandma!

And, in what can only be reported with joy, we, the parents, were actually able to leave two times without the child. Once while she was sleeping, and even once while she was awake. And she was still happy when we got home.

Grandma reports that she comes to see our daugher. Well, now we know she can see lots of her, and my husband and I can go off and see lots of each other - which is a beautiful thing.

1 comment:

Cyndie said...

Visits from Grandma are glorious!

I always feel like a charlatan when I carry a purse.