Friday, July 25, 2008

on a roll, part 3


I set my daughter down on the floor as I often do today, and went into the kitchen to wash a dish that was getting particularly fragrant. I checked in on her a few moments later, and realized that she was making progress.

She usually just rolls in order to reach for a toy, and often moves around her play space (the carpet/blanket in front of the TV) in a combination of rolls and inchworms. And I've been completely happy with that level of mobility. It means she can get the things she wants without actually getting into anything else.

But today she started rolling off her blanket, and kept going. I watched her more than I washed the pot (although it did get clean), fascinated by her new freedom. She stopped when she reached the kitchen. She had never experienced linoleum before, and this required an investigation. She scratched at, like she does on every new floor surface. And I am infinitely grateful that this investigation did not include a suck for good measure. I finally moved her when she started poking around under a shelf that we have. My kitchen is not clean enough for her wanderings, although I guess it needs to get that way soon.

The bright side to this new found mobility is that once she does a new trick, she usually won't repeat it for a few days (before it becomes standard operating procedure) so we have a few days to get the next areas prepped for our little explorer.

No comments: