Tuesday, March 5, 2013

well that was unexpected

I called today to schedule the anatomy ultrasound for this new baby. They had a cancellation today, so I took it. With just enough to time to dress my children, and drop them off at a good friends' house (you know, the kind of good where you can call her up, and drop your kids off at her house five minutes later), I headed to the office. Oh, there was also enough time to call my husband, and make sure he could come too. We met at the hospital where the procedure was done.

So on the big screen, we watched the baby's heart beat, saw two hemispheres of the brain (my favorite part), and counted fingers and toes (20 total I'm happy to report). Near the end she showed us a shot of the baby, and showed us the umbilical cord, and suggested that it had been hard to get a good look...

"But I know what you're having..." she continued in a sing-song voice. Then she showed us our boy.

I think she wanted us to start cheering, or get excited, but that's not our way (we are pretty private people after all). Plus, we were surprised. We hadn't really considered a boy, I mean, we gave the idea lip service "of course we'll be happy with whatever we have" when people asked if we were hoping this one would be a boy. But we expected a girl. Yet that's not what we're having.

Kiddo is thrilled about her new brother. And since Babs takes most of her cues from Kiddo she's pretty excited too.