Friday, March 22, 2013

thoughts at the end of the week

Last Saturday I attended a consignment sale hosted by some moms at the preschool Kiddo attends. I figured it was time to actually buy an outfit for a boy. I managed to find some things I thought were cute, for very cheap, and came home pleased with my purchases. When I took them out to show my husband, I realized I only thought they were cute because they were compared to really ugly boy clothes. (I'm sure they'll look better on my little boy.) I lacked my usual excitement to show new baby clothes to my husband. I don't like little boy clothes, at least not in comparison with baby girls clothes. I am sad I don't get to buy little girl clothes, or at least revisit them this time. My consolation is that I have a lot less I'll have to teach him about modesty. (I'm also trying to determine if I can put this little boy in my carefully chosen gender neutral clothes from Kiddo and Babs' time. Even if the colors are not pink, won't I still associate them with girls?)

At said consignment sale, I also bought a small chalkboard and felt board easel. I envisioned it being for Kiddo, but Babs is the one that colors on it every day. She especially loves the red chalk. I still need to find some felt activities to make the other side more interesting.

Last week we visited my aunt who lives in Virginia. I love to visit her because I do. My kids love to visit her because they adore her doll house, which happened to be out of commission this visit. That was a hard thing to understand. But I saw her vision for her basement, and they will really love it next time.

Almost every day this week one or both of our girls has wandered down to our room, after we thought they were settled and asleep. Babs accompanies her appearance in our room with "I had trouble falling asleep." I know she is getting less sleep that she used to get. I am very concerned that it will catch up with her soon, and she will get a fever. But, so far, she is just a little extra crazy in the afternoon and evening.

Today Babs looked at Kiddo and said "Kiddo's a little hiv-ing." It is an apt description because Kiddo is red and blotchy all over. As I looked at her rash/hives, I asked my husband (who wonderfully stayed home today so she and I could have minimal contact while she finishes being contagious) "How do we know if it's her illness, or a reaction to her medicine?"

A friend at church is pregnant, and due just a few days after me. Like me, she already has two little girls. She seriously wanted a boy. Although my husband and I were mostly neutral, we were thinking it was a girl. And now that we've both had our mid-term pregnancy, I'm having a boy, and she's having a girl. I find this amusing.