Friday, March 15, 2013

thoughts at the end of the week

Babs is singing loudly in her room, clearly not taking a nap, yet also not fighting being in her room for "sleep time." Did changing her bed coincide with outgrowing her nap? or is this just another step towards her utter exhaustion? Last night after a mighty battle, I finally left her there to put herself to sleep. When my husband checked on her later he noted there were lots of toys on the floor. I replied "Yeah, those got thrown there while she threw her first tantrum." In the middle of the night, I heard her crying to me on the stairs. She had made it half way down, but lacked the courage to make it all the way down in the dark. This transition (which I was so smug about) is still going better than with Kiddo, but not going so well at all.

Kiddo watches about 30 minutes of YouTube each day, it's part of her (our) quiet time. I used to supervise it pretty closely (after the Grand Theft Auto incident*), but now I just listen to it. It also helps that she only watches non-fiction science videos and cooking videos. I guess I'm glad she's learning. It also gives us another opportunity to discuss fiction and non-fiction.

The other day Babs was pushing at Kiddo. Kiddo cried out like always, and I ignored her, because I'm just as sick of the crying as I am of the pushing. Then I saw Kiddo push back. Hard. Babs was horrified. I pretended not to see a thing, because there was no way I was telling Kiddo that she wasn't supposed to push, I was just so grateful to finally see her fight for herself.

We heard this week that an offer we made on a house was yet again passed over for a different (better) offer. This is at least the fifth house we've made an honest effort to buy. We are apparently no good at it. We are desperately trusting that when it is time, Heavenly Father will show us how to be good.

Yesterday Kiddo wrote a thank you card. She actually wrote "thank you" on the back, but filled the inside with scribbles "so Babs can read it." She then walked up to Babs and read the note. To the best of my memory, it told her she was glad they were sisters. "Can you imagine how much I love you? No, I love you more than that. I love to play with you. I love to do things with you." She reiterated how much she was grateful to have a sister like her. It is likely that listening to her recite that card was the best moment of my week.


*I see no record of that stellar moment of parenting. Last April, Kiddo asked to watch YouTube. Although I started her on something benign she managed to browse to a recording of someone playing Grand Theft Auto, and was watching blissfully when my husband walked in and figured out. He mentioned to me later that we needed to supervise all internet carefully. I totally agreed. I then confessed: normally I do. I wasn't right then because I wanted to be left alone so I could watch General Conference.