Sunday, June 20, 2010

what's in a name?

My girls both have, in my opinion, strong, feminine, classic names. The difference is that one is rarely used today, and the other is super popular. And that's fine with me. Picking their names was not an easy process either time.

But that choice was nothing compared to choosing a name for the second one on my blog. My private paranoia will not let me use their names on a public blog. (Why not make it private? you ask. Because I have different issues with a private blog for myself.) I call children "Kiddo" so it was a no-brainer to use it for my child on my blog. But now I have two girls, and obviously they can't both be Kiddo. But I have racked my brain for a similar nickname, and am coming up blank.

Calling her Baby is not working for me, and is not a long term solution anyway. (Although it will continue to be the short term solution until I've solved this dilemma.) I thought about "Sport" because that is what her Grandma called her in her first week, but will that create expectations for her future? (Although, I love the irony of one of my kids being called sport, given my husband's and my athletic inclinations and interest.) I thought about Girl, which is a nice play on her name, but does that imply the other is not? (Clearly not given who Kiddo is.) I thought about many other things, and really can't decide.

So, in a one time offer, I'm opening up comments. What should I name my second child in blog land? Please, let me know what you think.

Until then, a story about my husband and my grandfather. My husband's name is the same as my uncle's. So my grandpa, being who he is, calls my husband "Secundus" a lot. We've taken to referring to our children that way quite often, Primus and Secundus. (If there's a third will she be Tersius?) So, if you run across those terms, you'll know who we're talking about. And if you now my Grandpa, you'll understand too.

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

Yeah! Comments on your blog - which I LOVE, love, love! What adorable beautiful little girls you have! It seems like such a sweet, precious family time.

So, a name for Baby. . . I love the Primus and Secondus thing, although it's not quite 'cute' enough for babies and toddlers. :) How about Sweetie, or Sister. My kids call all their cousins Bob. There's Caleb-Bob and Scotty-Bob and Bob-bert and Joe-Bob. Lots of fun!

Bekah said...

Hmmmm. Kiddo#2? See how creative and helpful I am? :) Sister is cute.

So sorry you had mastisis. I had that after Nick was born and it was horrible. Hope you're feeling better!

Lady Arat said...

I vote go with the numbering system. For blog-land names that could be fun and it makes names of future children easy. Just don't carry it into real life. :) I have a friend who's fifth child is named Quintilia. Really.

Tayna said...

Kelli- I just love reading your blog! You do such a great job, I love seeing you with the little kids. Brings back memories of when I had two. One of the hardest times of my life! It does get better.

I vote for squirt. I like to call kids squirt though. It is more for a boy than a girl I guess, but would still work. Or I like the number idea too.

Hope something comes! Such beautiful little girls!

kristine N said...

Kidlet? Munchkin? Sissa (or Sissah)? Hard to name a kid twice, isn't it?

I, too, love reading your blog. You do a great job with it! Thanks for sharing your life with the rest of us far away friends, and for opening up comments (even if it's just this once) so we can have a conversation.