Wednesday, March 10, 2010

help! I'm being held hostage in the bathroom

Now that Kiddo is no longer worried about sitting on the toilet, and in fact (mostly) toilet trained, we spend a lot of time in the bathroom. She tells me she needs to go, and off we go. And then we stay, and stay, and stay. I ask her frequently if she's finished, and she doesn't respond, or else replies "and stay on the potty?"

I can't insist she leave, what if she still needs to go? I really don't want accidents. And leaving her by herself has awkward consequences, like playing in the large toilet, and other things I don't want to deal with, or talk about.

So I sit with her, and wait, and wait, and wait, and eventually convince myself we can leave the tiny, tiny room. Is it because it's the only place she can be sure I'll be completely focused on her? Or is that just my motherhood self-doubt speaking?