Monday, October 19, 2009

changing expectations

I have done pretty well in getting things accomplished today, which is not so often the case right now. My husband just called to say he was coming home, and all of my initiative fell away. I found myself saying things in my head like: in 15 minutes, he'll be home, and he can .... (fill in the blank with chore still waiting to be done) and saying things to my daughter like: I can't draw a frog. Daddy will when he gets home.

Then as I sat, looking forward to my parenting reprieve, I remembered. My husband has already been working for 13 hours today, and has a few more before today is over. I guess my parenting/homemaking reprieve won't be until Kiddo goes to bed. I'm not glad that's the case, but I am glad I remembered before he came home, and I had false expectations of him.

He's finishing his dissertation in the next two weeks. I'm sure we'll have plenty more days like this before he's done (like, about 12 of them, thank goodness for Sundays.)