Friday, March 13, 2009

thank you

My dad jokes about teaching kids about "anti-gravity," that when they drop things they come back up, because you pick it up and put it back on their tray (usually when eating). I've been pretty determined not to teach that to Kiddo, so when she drops things we say "uh-oh, it's gone now" (and let her find it later that day).

The unintended consequence (and there always is one) is that she drops things off her tray when she is done with them. If she is ready for toast, she will drop her eggs off the side. If she doesn't like the chicken, it's over the side. Anything that doesn't make the cut is gone. It's hard to stop her, because by the time you figure out it isn't going to her mouth, her hand is over the edge and there it goes. This is funny when you're watching someone try to feed her, and infuriating when it's you.

So for the last few weeks I have been diving and catching and (gently) scolding that we don't drop food on the floor, we either leave it on our tray (fat chance!) or "Give it to Mama." So now she gives it to me: the unwanted crust, the misshapen bean, the undesirable meat, the tasted, but not eaten, lump of whatever. She holds it all out and insists that I take it. The meal cannot continue until it is in my hands.

And I say a hearty thank you, and praise her for giving it to me, and mostly mean it. Half-eaten noodle anyone?