Thursday, March 12, 2009

joy revisited

Kiddo is feeling better. It seems we were going through a lot there, we had colds, then travel, then flu, and suddenly, it's almost spring, and we're all healthy again. And in the last two days it is evident that she is all better. She can entertain herself for longer periods of time, she is talking more (surely in no language I understand), and is basically thrilled with life again. I'm glad she's glad.

Some random thoughts that I don't have time to make more interesting:
  • Kiddo has four new teeth on top; it makes for a lovely kiss/bite when she's feeling friendly.
  • She's started to develop a bit of stranger anxiety, which means she has been known to wail when my husband or I (but particularly me) leave the premise. Waving bye-bye helps sometimes.
  • I've just taught her a new sign "eat," which helps us near dinner time when she's melting down and I can't figure out why she can't just let me get dinner ready, until I remember she's starving, so I get her in her chair, throw some food in front of her, and we're happy again. This is added to "more" and "done" which may just be about all we learn.
  • And she's decided that since daylight savings came, she needs less sleep. This does not mean she goes to bed later (since the sun is still up). No, she still goes down between 6 and 6:30 pm, but wakes up about 6:30 am. She used to wake with the sun, now she wakes in the pitch black. Clearly she has a powerful internal clock.
  • Continuing on that theme, I think she's trying to transition to one nap. It's tough on us both.