Friday, March 27, 2009

15 months

Her 15-month anniversary was almost two weeks ago, but we visited the doctor yesterday. She was model patient, for a 15-month old. She was not fond of having her ears looked at, but let's be honest, it's not that comfortable.

All in all, she's a healthy kid. Her head circumference jumped from the 55th to the 90th percentile. (Her height and weight continue of their appropriate curves though.) But the dr was pretty sure that was measurement error. Having watched the measurement process, I could guarantee it was measurement error. Kiddo was mad to be there, and was letting the nurse know. The doctor was also surprised and mildly concerned that she has no words (none, we repeated, not mama, not dada, not bottle, nothing). Perhaps he would have been less concerned had I told him other members of her family take their time too. He was not as impressed as I thought he should be with her myriad of animal noises and motions.

So that night at dinner I decided to do a little talking practice. "Say mama." I instructed. She looked at me, but no words. "Can you say dada?" She looked at me with her thinking look, then with great concentration said "Dah. Dah." No, it's not her first word. But she says "Dah!" all the time to indicate things, and she showed me she can say it twice. She's so smart.

This gem is from a Sunday morning, where we hadn't got her dress on, but she asked to wear her boots. She's great.