Tuesday, January 20, 2009

a historic lunch

Kiddo and I watched the inauguration on the internet today while we had lunch. She loves to clap along with the general applause. She listened well enough to the speakers, but really liked the marching bands at the end. We watched not only because I wanted to see it, but, even if she is only 13 months old, I wanted Kiddo to be a part of it too.

Benjamin Jealous, the president of the NAACP said it best: "I will never forget the look on our 2-year-old daughter's face as she watched Hilary Clinton and Barack Obama debate. My wife and I realized that our little girl would only know an America in which every child can aspire to be President. Reflected in her gaze, we saw the faith of generations - men and women of all hues who have never stopped believing that as great as America is, we must be greater still."

Whenever I stop to reflect on it (which is never often enough) I am always floored by the immense bounty my family and I experience, and expect, on a day to day basis. As my daughter and I watched the culmination of a completely peaceful transfer of power, I was once again amazed and humbled to live in this amazing country. God bless the USA.