Sunday, January 25, 2009

before and after

Although it sometimes seems a lot of work, we put Kiddo's hair up in little ponytails for church. She gets loads of complements, and it's true, she looks adorable. As a friend said today, "I think she gets cuter each week." "Me too!" I excitedly replied. This is her all ready for church.

But she's not really a fan of having her hair up. The first victims are always the ribbons. She touches them, then pulls them out. Since she is a moving target to begin with, it is hard to retie them with any degree of success, so I usually just tuck those in my pocket. Not long after the ribbons go, she reaches up her hand, and as fast as I react to keep her away, she usually manages to pull out the elastic on one side.

Then the fun really begins. I try to put it back in, but it never looks right. It will be too high, or too low, or too far back. And her hair is so soft that the elastic starts to slide out any way. And it is only a matter of time before she pulls out the second elastic, and by that point, game over.

Except, it's not. Her hair stays relatively bunched together, and sticks up even without the elastics. This picture is two hours after I gave up on the elastics. In the morning, one side will be flatter (she will have slept on it) but the other side will still be going strong, and will continue that way until I soak her head.

Whether she likes it or not, she is committed to ponytails.