Tuesday, September 18, 2012

you be...

Have I mentioned we're going through a Toy Story phase around here? I spend as much time as I can handle (and way less time than Babs would like) being Bulls-eye each day.

But today I got a little reprieve. We read an illustrated Christmas Story book today, so Kiddo thought it would be great to put on a little nativity. Kiddo's Cabbage Patch Kid was assigned the role of Baby Jesus. Kiddo was Mary, Babs was Joseph, and I floated around being various characters (shepherd, angel, wise man). Later, long after Kiddo had tired of the game, Babs was still assigning roles. "I be Mary, you be Joseph." Then we had to sit around the basket, looking at Baby Jesus.

Out of the mouth of babes: Each time we crowded around the basket, Babs would look at me and gush "Look at Baby Jesus. She's so cute." (We're still struggling with pronouns around here.) It made me think, of course Mary told Joseph a hundred times how cute the baby was, and he had to agree. That's what new parents do. But I don't spend enough time thinking of them as parents.I'm glad Babs did.

By the end of the night, the doll was still Baby Jesus, Babs was still Mary, but I was somehow Bulls-Eye again, worshipping Baby Jesus along with the rest of the group.

***

The Cabbage Patch doll is also referred to as "the sponge doll" and has spent much of the last few months in a basket with a lot of other toys and dolls. This morning she was rediscovered, and immediately became the object of much affection, and fighting. Both girls wanted this doll, and only this doll. And neither one had any solid claim. She is Kiddo's doll, but Kiddo doesn't care about dolls, Babs does. But Babs would not accept any of the other 5 or so dolls we have around here, all which have been the object of her undying love at one point or another. It was a long morning.

***

Babs is completely in the pretend phase. Each day we get assigned our characters from some show. I grin and bear it, knowing it is just a phase, remembering that Kiddo went through exactly the same thing. How many days was I Linnie from the Wonder Pets? A lot. But Kiddo is not a current fan of let's pretend. Each time Babs tries to assign her a character, she recoils, and yells how she does not want to pretend. Do you think this is payback for how poorly Babs played her character assignments from when she was 3 mos. old?