Wednesday, September 26, 2012

waking up

Babs almost always wakes up happy, and sings or chats in her crib a little before she wants to be picked up. She bounces up and is very excited to see me. But often, moments after I arrive she furrows her little brow, and says "First, we got to fix my hair." meaning that we need to brush it out of her face. I crack up every time she asks.

Is it her hysterical little mad face? Is it the fact that her hair will be in her face her whole life, given how it grows? Is it the utter sincerity with which she utters the phrase? I don't know. But it is so hard to take her seriously. I love two-year olds.

The other day, she asked me for something (I believe it was along the lines of, can you get me the dolly that Kiddo doesn't like me to play with?). I repeated the request back to her, because I thought it was so funny, and she nodded her head yes. I was lost in the moment, and didn't immediately act. She paused, looked at me, and said "That means yes, mom."