Tuesday, September 11, 2012

what was that again?

The things Babs wants to express to us have once again exceeded her ability to pronounce them. So even though I spend all day with her, I don't understand a lot of what she's saying these days. I alternately say "I don't understand you" or give some sort of non-committal reply.

A few days ago my husband and I were discussing this after dinner. He wondered if I had noticed that Kiddo seemed to understand her better. And I agreed that I had noticed that.

This morning, as Babs is almost, but not quite better, I asked her what she wanted to eat. She whined some answer that was specific, but unintelligible to me. I had her repeat herself, but it was not any easier to understand. After the third repeat, I was desperate, but still couldn't understand her. (I knew if I guessed wrong she would start crying again, and then I'd have no chance of understanding her at all. And she'd possibly change her mind about eating in the first place.)

"Kiddo," I tried, "Do you know what Babs is saying?"

"She wants Cheerios and milk like the pig is eating."

It's important to note, Kiddo was right.