Sunday, September 9, 2012

hot girl again...

As soon as we dropped Kiddo off at preschool on Friday, Babs knew exactly what she wanted to do: watch Toy Story [3]. Sigh. I don't want her to get into the habit of watching TV while Kiddo is at preschool. But how much of a habit can a 2 year get into without me enabling it? It would be easy enough to say no to the TV on Monday, when I wasn't tired (ah, how I dream), when I had a viable other options, when I wasn't desperate to just wash my face in peace... I mean, Friday was one of those mornings when you wake up knowing you'll have a hard day, so I let her watch TV, while I tried to take care of myself.

After about 15 minutes I looked at her, I mean, really looked at her, and said "oh no!" It was clear, her fever was coming back. Within an hour she was asleep on the couch, which allowed me the very odd experience of watching TV for me during the morning. I don't think I'll do it again soon, but I could, so I did. (Side note: while I don't think I did anything wrong by watching TV, my reasoning "I could, so I did" scares me. My stake president [an ecclesiastic leader] last night talked about that being one of Satan's phrases to help us justify poor choices. I don't want to make bad choices.)

I had to wake Babs up to pick up Kiddo from preschool. She threw up in the car on the way there, so I ran to the preschool door, found an aide to go get Kiddo, then ran back to the car, so as not to leave Babs alone too long, but also not move the throw-up mess. Kiddo couldn't understand why I wouldn't read her announcement pages to her immediately after getting home, the explanation of "I have to clean your sister up" (who wasn't keen on having her clothes changed) didn't cut it for her.

Babs gets these fevers. We really don't know why or what triggers them. They come about once a month, and last for 4 or 5 days. She has a lot of fever reducing medicine during that time, and we get through it. No one else gets it, and then it's done. When there is no medicine in her, she is shaky, and thirsty, and so sad. She sleeps a lot. I think I'm going to have to start a daily "what we did, how she acted" journal, in some hopes of finding a trigger. Or hope she outgrows this soon. Whatever works.