Thursday, September 6, 2012

and another new class...

Today was Kiddo's first dance class. I am so grateful this is over. She loved it. I knew she would. But she wasn't sure, and the way that manifested itself was multiple crying episodes over the last few weeks. She would tell me that she didn't need to go to dance class, because she already knew how to dance. She likes to dance by herself. She cried and insisted she wanted to be a baby again. Basically, she was just worried.

When she would totally loose it, we would just love her. I tried to assure her that dance class was fun. She was right, it wasn't her wonderful dance class in Texas, but it would be good. Some things would be different, but some things would be the same. I also firmly told her we were going to try it out for a few weeks. If she still didn't want to go after four weeks, then we would revisit the decision, but she was going to try.

And she loved it. Of course she did, this is my child who was born to dance. I don't know much about the class itself, because I'm not invited in, nor did I hover to catch a glimpse through the mostly drawn shades (maybe because I could usually see her pretty well through the door?). I am determined to let my child have some experiences for herself. I'm also determined not to watch her grow up through the lens of a camera.

Now, we've tried out both of our new classes, I hope she can stop worrying about them. She can know, that like I said, there will be some things the same, and some things different. What is the same is that she can dance with lots of other little girls to fun music, and get a stamp on her hand near the end. And that is what is really important to her.