Tuesday, September 25, 2012

time off

I flew out to visit my grandma and aunt in Seattle last weekend for a short visit. I was only there for two days, but I was grateful to even have that much time. On the flight out I had to use the airplane lavatory, and I think my weekend could be summed up by my thought there: wow, this room is pretty spacious! It's the first time I've been in one without at least one small child since Kiddo was born. This was the first time I've left them with my husband alone for more than a few hours. I trust him, but have never had the need or the opportunity.

It was really nice. We went to our favorite fish place, and I just felt guilty for not having my kids there, because there was water, and a park, and things they would love. But from then on, I just slipped into Grandma mode, a time where you can forget your life responsibilities, and just be loved. I went with them to a hockey game (in which their team was royally beaten) and just hung out. We talked, and I read books, and it was very quiet and enjoyable. Grandma brings out my smart aleck side. I believe it a combination of memories of my grandpa, who was a royal tease, and something about our relationship. Her stories of me as a child have a strong sassy side to them too. But I don't think she cares, because she likes a good laugh.

My superstar husband held down the fort while I was gone. I think he and the girls had fun. And, this morning Kiddo came down to our bedroom before we were up. My husband looked at her, and motioned for her to come to him. She came. This is a momentous occasion, up until this weekend she would have made a mad dash for me, hoping he wouldn't stop her. Something this weekend made it so he was on par with me. That is a blessing worth the lost sleep and crazy visit entirely.

But mostly the visit was worthwhile because I got to see that great lady who is my grandma again. And I love her. (I'm debating whether to post the one picture I took while there. It's grainy, and grandma looks like she's half asleep. I didn't notice the closed eyes when I glanced at the picture before hopping out of the car. It's good of me though...)