Sunday, January 29, 2012

reverence in her own way

For sure my kids are little, so it takes a lot of effort and supplies from the diaper bag to keep them semi-quiet during the hour and ten minutes of Sacrament meeting. But because of the sacred nature of the actual taking of the sacrament, I try extra hard during those ten minutes to keep them quiet and calm.

When the bread came by, I offered it to Babs as usual. Also as usual, she shook her head no, she doesn't like bread. (In contrast, she really likes the little water, and makes it known if I skip her. That is not why she takes the sacrament though.)

In the quiet, she then started singing "keep the commandments" except she's not quite 2, so while she can carry a tune remarkably well for her age, she can't actually carry a tune, or pronounce "keep" or "commandment," or remember any other words. Nor does she sing softly.

I couldn't find it in my heart to shush her. She was singing the songs of Zion, and was actually more reverent than usual, even if she wasn't being quiet. Kiddo did the same thing when she was about this age. I had a hard time asking her to be quiet as well.