Monday, November 8, 2010

walk in the woods

The local Audubon society holds walks in the woods for 18 mos to 4 year olds. I took Kiddo in October, and was excited to do the next in November. It was today.

Today was cold, windy, and I still haven't bought Kiddo this year's winter coat. So I put in her in some layers with last year's coat (only a little too small right now) and we went anyway. The walk was long, but Kiddo is a good sport, and enjoys being around other people. But there were no other kids there, so it was just more adult interaction with the coordinator, Miss Kelly. Oh well, I tried.

At the end she was pretty tired, but we had almost made it to the car. Then she slipped on a hill, and landed hard on a rock. She melted into lots and lots of tears and wailing. Somewhat used to the tired melt-down, I didn't pay much attention as she started to say "I need to go..." In fact, I cut her off and said, "Home. Yeah, we're going really soon." "Nooooo. I need to go potty."

I had suspected for the last while, but had hoped I was wrong. Having really no other options, I quickly pulled Babs out of her carrier (she was strapped on me) and handed her to Miss Kelly. Then I grabbed Kiddo and walked about 20 feet into the woods, pulled down her pants, positioned her accordingly and told her to let loose.

"I'm making the leaves wet." Umm, yeah. "I need to wipe my bottom."

"I'll find you the softest leaf I can." I replied.