Monday, November 29, 2010

giving thanks


We visited my aunt and uncle for thanksgiving, just like we have for many years now. As we drove into their development I laughed uncomfortably, then said, "you could fit our entire block into their house." That was a little exaggeration. You could really only fit our building, and our two neighboring buildings (and possibly a fourth) in their house. You could fit our block on their house and yard though. Despite my best efforts, a small current of frustration ran through my head through most of our few days there, in comparing what I have with what they have, and finding myself coming up short.

Now, they are older, and more established, so of course they should have more than I do. But I just wanted a little more: a little more space, a little more amenities, a little more money, a little more trees, a little less asphalt.

But I was wrong to think that (and knew it at the time, although I couldn't shake it off at the time). I am richly blessed. For example, I have a home, and last year at this time we didn't have that. And we have a job, which 15 months ago seemed unlikely. Also since last year I have two sweet, sweet girls, instead of just one. And I have been richly blessed with many good friends here, people who love me and my girls.

My change of heart was complete when we returned home. After a long car ride (that serendipitously brought us past my favorite mexican restaurant at dinner time!), we got the girls to bed, I was rinsing a few dishes. As I looked at my tiny sink in my small kitchen, and placed the hand-washed dishes in our drying rack, I remembered that my little family is very happy in my little space, and that is enough, and even plenty, for me.