Thursday, November 11, 2010

sleeping lessons

On Monday Primus took a huge (and needed) nap. But the whole time I worried about the consequences of that act, namely that she would not fall asleep that night until really late. Turns out that Secundus had a hard time settling too. So, we tag-teamed from one to the other trying to get them to sleep.

I fed Secundus, and she finally settled and was almost asleep. Primus was very quiet in their room, so I thought she was almost down too. I took a chance, laid Babs down and reminded Kiddo to be quiet.

I sat down on the couch, and soon heard the following (spoken quite loudly):
"Okay Baby, here's how you go to sleep. You have to stay asleep all night, until the sun comes up. You go to sleep when it's dark, and stay asleep until the sun is out."

I of course peeked in, they are both in their beds, Babs pushed up on her arms to see her idol, her big sister, who is at least still in bed, although clearly not close to sleep. Babs made some six-month old noise.

"No, that's not how you do it," comes Kiddo's authoritative voice. "You are quiet, you close your eyes, and make a smelling noise," accompanied by the sound of exaggerated deep breathing.

The lesson continued from there, until I finally had to step in, and separate the two, so at least one of them would go to bed. Secundus slept soon after; Primus finally crashed a little after 10.

I'm sure I'm done with naps for her now. But quiet time is still part of our day.

(Just before feeding Babs came another moment I'd like to remember. Kiddo had been in my bed, and since I was picking up Babs, I decided to move her to her bed, hoping it would settle her (it often does). As we went into her room she walked straight to Babs' crib, stuck her little arm through the slats and gently stroked her cheek, comforting her obviously distressed little sister. My heart melted. I then shooed her into her bed and took the baby out for some food.)