Wednesday, May 26, 2010

not ready yet

Kiddo actually took a nap today - hooray. I went to open the door so that when she woke up she could just walk out, and found this:
She had climbed into the crib (now set high for an infant), and settled in amidst the diapers, blankets, and princess dress to take a nap. The light was on, and the blinds were in disarray. Clearly she did not fall asleep here immediately.

We make a big deal about what a big girl she is, and how proud we are. Experts say though, that kids want to regress a little when a new sibling shows up and gets lots of attention. This, and our current potty struggles, tell me that the experts are right.

Yesterday I picked her up and held her for while. I was standing. This is her favorite way to be held these days, but given her weight and size, I can't do it for long. As I went to bed last night I prayed to remember to hold her like that a little each day, to tell her in a language she understands right now, that I love her very much. So many of her wants are being put off right now (as are mine, my husbands, and sometimes even baby's) as we learn to be a family of four. I need her to know that with all the changes, our love for her has not.