Thursday, May 13, 2010

a mother's dilemma

I found myself with both girls asleep at the same time this afternoon, and was met by the age old dilemma of a new mother: sleep or shower?

Getting Kiddo to sleep was a miracle. Now that she cannot be confined to her bed or room, she's stopped taking naps. More than once someone has suggested to get the child proof door handle covers, and each time I've thought: that seems a little extreme. I think I was hoping she'd take responsibility for her need to take naps. (Although once I said that thought out loud I realized how ridiculous an expectation that is for my sweet (or anyone's) two year old.) But I was at the store yesterday, and was just a little desperate, so I bought some. I intended to bring them home, and leave them in the bag for a few days while I thought about it.

My husband is not like me. He saw my purchase, opened the package and immediately installed the cover. That night after we put her down we heard her trying to get out of the room (I now think she was just investigating the cover that glowed in the dark), but she was unable to get out. "Yes!" my husband exulted. "It works!" (Which we knew, because he almost got stuck in there.)

Today at nap time I explained that she needed to stay in bed, and left her again. As soon as I closed the door, I could hear her heading for it. She couldn't open the door, so she started knocking on the door, then calling out to me. I explained that she needed to stay in bed. And then I heard her sweet voice say "Oh, I forgot, I need to stay in bed." A few moments later she was knocking again. Then I said that she didn't have to sleep, she could read or play with toys. Again her little voice "Oh, I forgot. I need to play with my toys... No, I canNOT play with my toys." And the knocking started again.

Then came her trump card "Mama, where are you?" over and over. But today, I just didn't care. A few months ago that question melted me. Today I just ignored her. (I'm sure it helped that the other girl needed my attention right then.) About 15 minutes into nap time I heard her walk away from the door. 15 minutes later I checked on her, she was asleep in bed.

I decided a nap was more important than a shower, but it's my lucky day, I got both!