Sunday, June 1, 2008

solids ... sort of

Last night we introduced Leni to "solids," even though her solid food was little more than a thick, pasty liquid. But, it was an overwhelming success. She learned how to swallow it on the first bite, and was anxious for more and more. With the way that she grabbed for the spooon, I'm sure she'll be feeding herself as soon as her motor skills catch up.

I was dragging my feet a little bit towards this step, because I recognized that as she welcomes more and more types of food into her life, her lifeline to me is lessened. Certainly this is a huge blessing, but a slightly bittersweet one at the same time. As I try to reconcile myself to the fact that she won't always be an infant in my arms, I try to remember the wise words of my husband last night, when he prayed in gratitude for our opportunity to watch and help Leni grow up. And that is a blessing indeed.

1 comment:

Alisa said...

The life of a parent--who knew a yucky-looking thick, pasty liquid could invite introspection! There is something a little bit sad about starting solids...you articulated that reason.