Monday, June 9, 2008

all by herself


When Leni's awake, I often feel vaguely guilty that I don't spend all my time playing with her, and that I often placed her on the floor, and let her do her own thing while I do mine (within a safe distance of her, of course). As much as I try to fight it, I feel like I am shortchanging her if I am not some how constantly stimulating her brain with exposure to me.

But a few days ago, I figured something out that dampens the guilt. I was watching her roll around on the floor, thinking that I should leave the computer and go play with her. Then I realized she was slowly but steadily getting herself closer and closer to her goal of a particular toy that she wanted to play with. I realized that I can't teach her what she needs to learn right now. Even ignoring the fact that she doesn't know what I'm saying, I can't explain to her how to roll over, how to support your weight on your arms, how to balance while sitting up, or anything else she is thinking about doing. She needs personal time so she can figure it out - on her own.

So, while I still play with her, and cuddle her, and laugh with her, and sing to her while I do the dishes, I don't feel bad about leaving her alone for a while either.

No comments: