Saturday, March 19, 2011

what a day!

On Thursday, we needed to go to the bank, and my husband had handled most of the morning routine for me, so I volunteered that we would drive him into work. As we got everyone in the car, he turned to me and said "It's a beautiful day..." I assumed the next half of the sentence would be "why don't I just take the bus so you can walk to the bank?" I was wrong. He said "...why don't we go to the zoo right now?"

I mean, going to the zoo this week was the plan, but not until Friday. And right at that moment the only thing I could think of was "We're not packed for a day trip!" but instead I said "Okay!" He went into the house to drop off his backpack, and came out with the stroller, and a few more essentials for the day. And we went.

As I was waiting for him I also realized Kiddo hadn't had breakfast yet, so after the bank, and the grocery store for some breakfast we were on our way.

At the zoo we saw what our zoo had to offer, which is not a lot, but still lots of fun for Kiddo. And she rode the carousel, which took a lot of courage because instead of being fancy horses, it was endangered animals, like tigers and other assorted beasts. She, at the end of our visit, chose to ride the "spotted leopard frog." We left with a zoo membership for me and Kiddo (Babs is free) so we have a nice place to visit for the rest of our time here.

Later that afternoon Kiddo went to the park with Daddy to play, play, play.

Then, that night, we took Kiddo to a local high school musical, Cinderella. She stayed up way past her bedtime, but loved the singing, and dresses, and the mice. She did pretty well considering she's three, and whatever behavior lapses she had (a lot of whispering) was masked by the more disruptive behavior of the high school students in the audience. It was a lot of fun for her, and me, and hopefully Daddy too. (Babs stayed home, asleep, with a neighbor.)