Wednesday, January 20, 2010

who's in charge here anyway?

Kiddo and I went for a walk this afternoon. We needed to get quarters (ah, the coin-operated laundry...) and put some mail out for delivery. She was very excited by the prospect, and found her shoes for me to put on. Then she started doing her tantrum walk, even though she wasn't screaming or crying, just clearly trying to communicate something. That something was her non-desire to wear a coat. "Go outside in onesie, " she announced with confidence.

I got myself ready, then mentally hankered down for the wrestle to get the coat on. But she fought harder this time (she almost always gives in once she knows I'm serious), and I was more tired so I thought, fine. We'll have a lesson on decisions and consequences. I grabbed the stroller and her coat and hat, and we headed out the door.

I was sure when she felt the mid-30's temperatures she would tell me she needed a coat. After all, she's done it before, but I was wrong. She quickly got into her stroller, with the stroller blanket, snuggled in, and was merrily on our way. A few times she stuck her arms out to point to something, and although she was cold, would not admit to it. She did let me tuck her back in though, my one sign that she knew it was cold (normally her arms would not be in.)

At one point I tried to force the coat on her again, again, no luck. As we walked home (and she was more cold) she spent the bulk of the time curled up with her entire body in her stroller blanket (more of a sleeping bag like thing). She would occasionally pop her head out, laugh at her cleverness, then tuck her body back in. I felt more than a little foolish pushing this blanket lump home.

So I guess I learned something about decisions and consequences after all.