Friday, January 22, 2010

P is for...

I took Kiddo to the library story/play time for preschoolers yesterday. It is a secular nursery, so I am excited to have this resource (yay for public libraries!). I obviously don't leave her there, but other than that, and the lack of the lesson about Jesus it is very similar to the nursery she used to enjoy (she even asked to sing "I am a Child of God" - we didn't). They play with toys for a while, then sing some songs, read a book, and color. Perfect. They even end by blowing bubbles. Kiddo loved it. We will make this a weekly event. And, even better, the library is just a few blocks from our home, so we can walk.

While we were playing, Kiddo was using an alphabet puzzle. She knows most of her letters by now, so it was interesting to see her pick out the ones she is most familiar with. This puzzle had pictures on the letters, of something that started with the letters. She lifted up the "Q" with a quail on it. "Q is for BIRD!" she announced. Umm, actually while that it a bird, it's also a quail I explained. Then she picked up the P. "P is for elephant!" Umm, actually, that's a piano on it. I think it's great that she understands the script of letters going with words, but clearly the concept that letters make sounds, which match with words is still beyond her. Oh well, she's only two.

This idea is particularly interesting with another alphabet toy she has. The word for "y" is "yacht". Really? I'm supposed to convince my little girl that's not a boat? You first.