Tuesday, January 12, 2010

singing time

In our church, children from 18 months to 3 years old go to nursery. It is a time to sing songs, play games, and learn short Gospel lessons. Kiddo loved nursery from her first day. Because of nursery she loved church. She is still fine with church, but I am sad that she misses this experience (although I know in my heart, she'll be fine).

And then we moved to a branch, which is a smaller congregation than our old ward. And Kiddo is the only child between the age of 12 months and 4. There will be nursery for her soon, but there is not one yet. So she sits in the adult meetings with my husband and I, were she draws, has lunch, and sometimes goes on little walks. (And we try to keep her out of the curtains.)

Last week I asked the woman in charge of the children's classes (kids 4 to 11) if I could bring Kiddo by when they did singing time. Kiddo was very excited. They were learning a new song. She sat in her chair, and after hearing the song a few times, joyfully participated in singing. She was only a little more off key, and missed a few more words than the older kids. But I wish you could see the picture in my head, of her sitting there, amidst the eight or so older kids, but paying very close attention to the whole process, and loving it. We'll be doing singing time again.