Monday, July 20, 2009

kitchen puddles

I had two goals last Tuesday: do the laundry, do the dishes. Neither had been attended to for way too long, so I was sure it would take me most of the day, which meant that Kiddo had to entertain herself.

After her nap (if feels so indulgent to do chores during nap time), I gave her a drink and she enjoyed it, especially after she figured out that if she pulled on the straw, the lid would come off. For reasons I don't fully understand, I put more water in the cup after this revelation. And, no surprise, she took the lid off and dumped the water on the floor.

My first instinct was to say "Stupid me!" and clean up the mess. But I followed my second instinct that said: let her play. She stomped joyfully in the puddle for 20 minutes, which allowed me to make more headway into the dishes than I would have expected. The socks were already on, but I left them on so she wouldn't slip on our floor. From her face you can tell that I made a good choice.