Friday, February 27, 2009

this is a fork

Kiddo's spoon technique leaves something to be desired. No surprise, given her age. But she wants to eat with utensils, and has been pretty determined as of late that she wants my fork, so we bought her a toddler fork the other day. She immediately caught on to the idea, and was happily stabbing away at her meatballs, and ate with it very well. Later in the meal when she had both a spoon and a fork I asked her to hand me her fork, and she looked to figure out what hand it was in, then handed it over. I'm impressed by both her knowledge of the name of the tool, and her willingness to share. This is often not the case.

Speaking of sharing, yesterday we were visiting with a friend who has a little boy about a year older than Kiddo. In this instance she did not share. In fact, she would hold a toy out for the boy, and as he would go to take it she would jerk it away. I found myself explaining that she was too little to know how to share. This is the same boy that a few months ago she took a toy from him, and he started muttering "share! share!" to himself, as he was (reluctantly) learning the concept, but my little girl obviously was not. Oh, I'm sure she will soon enough.