Friday, December 12, 2008

ode to my forced air heater

My heating system has only one thermostat, which means that the temperature tends to fluctuate a lot from room to room, depending on the time of day and whether or not the doors are open or closed. The vents are in the ceiling, which makes sense given that the system is in the attic, but makes less sense to think of all my warm air exiting, and staying, near the ceiling, which, given that hot air rises, is not an ideal place to put the warm air (although we have low ceilings, so I guess it's not so bad). But recently, I've grown to love my system, and this is why:

1) Forced air heating keep air circulation up, which is important to reduce the risk of SIDS, which was a constant low level concern for me last winter with my newborn.
2) It also provides A/C in the summer, which most duplexes in my row do not have.
3) Our heating bills are significantly less than our neighbors.
4) It serves as a white noise generator when I'm putting my daughter to sleep.

And then yesterday I was visiting my neighbor with her 10-month old, and realized the real reason I love it:
5) The old system was vents on the floor, which get hot. She spends all day making sure her boy doesn't touch them. My daughter can't get any where near our vents, so there is no danger there.

I have enough things I'm trying to keep my daughter away from without adding that to the list.

I love my heating system, and will miss it when we move. (which is not for many months, but I continue to dream.)