Thursday, September 18, 2008

nine months and all is well

Kiddo had her nine-month check-up yesterday. In the last six weeks she added a pound (17 lb 3 oz), plus two inches (29 1/4). The nurse asked if she understood "no" yet, I assured her that Kiddo did not. She also asked if she followed one-step commands like "get your blankie and come here." I didn't have the heart to explain that at its simplest, that was a two-step command, and at a much more detailed level, it was much more than that. No, my daughter doesn't do that either. (She does come to me most of the time when I ask her to, but it is really because she wants to be with me, not because she understands 'come here'). Then the doctor asked if she pulled herself up on furniture yet. Yet again, no. But I'm fine with her progress. And, she had her hemoglobin checked, not once, not twice, but three times (this is the finger prick test). She was very calm about the first prick, even wanted to test out the blood, but the second prick was just not fair, and she cried vigorously. She's fine now, and it kept her from having blood work done at the hospital, so that's good.

But, today she figured out how to pull herself up, not to standing, but just enough so she can reach into her toy bin and pull out whatever she wants. This allows her to play with what she wants, not what I give her. Let's hear it for increased independence.