Thursday, September 4, 2008

a juxtaposition of talents

While visiting the grandparents, Kiddo developed a new skill. Her chair for eating was at an awkward angle, so she was consistently slouching. After a number of adjustments, we got it fixed enough that if she started to slouch, she could grab the sides of her tray, and pull herself up to sitting. I was almost as proud of her for figuring this out as she was that she could do it.

After lunch today, she was a little out of sorts. She wasn't hungry. She wasn't tired. She wasn't thirsty. I wasn't sure what to do. So, I figured we'd go for a walk to kill some time. She squealed for joy when I opened the door. She hooted happily as I set up her stroller. I sat her there, and she anxiously tried to sit up straight (as opposed to the reclined position that it sits at normally). I assumed that I could get the seat to sit at a right angle, and pushed it that way while I was tying my shoes. When I let go of the seat (to figure out how to get it to stay that way) the seat reclined, but my daughter did not.

Well, she started to, then she pulled herself up to sitting, using the tray to help. And spent most of the next 30 minutes sitting straight up (who needs seat backs?), holding on to the tray, and telling every one we saw how great it is to be outside.

I knew it was time to come home and nap when she decided that reclining was good enough for her.