Saturday, February 20, 2016

now I know my a, b, c's...

The boy is loving his alphabet (even if he does call them "numbers"). For a long time he only knew "O" (and would spot it everywhere). He now knows, well, more than I think he does, but less than half. He also does a fantastic rendition of the abc song, thanks again to nursery.

So we read alphabet books. And talk about what starts with the various letters. He may know some of his letters, but he has no sense for the sounds and correlating that with words. (Which is fine. He's two. I'm in no rush.) I have two stories about this:

The other day I was reading a magazine article about cattle, well it was actually about big animal veterinarians, but because most of the pictures were of cows, that what we called it, the pictures of the cows. Like any good article, the first letter was in a large font, followed by the tiny letters. "Whatz that?" the boy asks as he points at the letter. "A 'T'" I reply. "Oh, T for tows!" he happily announces, because he can't yet pronounce the "k" sound. I have no answer for that one.

As we were going through the alphabet, "B is for baby," "R is for rhinoceros" etc., until we got to the end. "Z for seeping!" he tells me. I pause, about to say, no z is for... until I realize he told me "z is for sleeping." It most certainly is.