Wednesday, February 3, 2016

girls and boys

Many years ago we got some fine socks for Babs, with grippers on the bottom, that stayed up, were just the right weight; frankly, I loved them. While they are "girl" socks, with their scalloped edges, cupcakes and butterflies designs, they are not pink with glitter. I almost didn't let the boy wear them, even though they were in good condition, until I thought, I would have totally put my girls in boy socks that were still usable. Let's be fair here.

And given his older sisters, the boy loves Anna and Elsa (Frozen), barbies, and dolls, and has no problem with pink. He may, but not yet. (He also loves cars, trucks, and "hulk smash." He just came that way.)

I spent effort with the girls making sure they were exposed to things that society labels as for boys or girls. It is actually harder to be equally mindful for my son. At least now I am expected to tell my girls they can be anything. The expectations for my little man are not as wide.

The other day I found myself shying away from a book to read to him, concerned that he wouldn't enjoy it because the main character was a girl. WHAT?!? my brain shouted, you've never worried that your girls couldn't relate to a boy! and so I read the book anyway.

I am frustrated that despite my best efforts through my life, that these stereotypes of what girls and boys can do have sneaked into my mind anyway. I carefully walked a tightrope today to maintain his interest in the fireman rainboots, not the pink flower rainboots. I refused to use as an excuse "those are for girls." (That would have been extra ironic given that I had just bought a set of spiderman boots for her older sister.)

I just want them to be able to be who they want to be (ideally that would also be who I want them to be).