Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Magyk and brave boots

I've been trying to make sure I have time for Kiddo these days. Between her good temperament, her sister's slightly more demanding personality, and the fact that I have a 2 year old, sometimes there feels like there's not enough time for her.

But then at the library the other day, she showed interest in a book that is at the right reading level for her, but I was concerned the content might scare her (everything scares her...). So we checked out the book with the caveat that we had to read it together.

Which is awesome. It's been years since she's willing let me read just to her (and it's so important!). More importantly, I now search for time to spend with her, so we can read together. She wants to read over my shoulder, so she sits right next to me. And since we're trying to read a chapter, I often put off the desires of her brother and sister so I can be with her. (What sweeter words can a child hear than, "no, I won't do that with you, I'm with your sister right now?)

The downside? It's a good book (Magyk, by Angie Sage), and I want to know what happens next. Instead, I have to be responsible and send her to bed. (If it were just me, I would totally let myself stay up.)

***

Speaking of everything being scary, she is still reluctant to go downstairs (to our finished basement) by herself. This is a problem, because the door to the garage is there, so coats and shoes are usually there too. The other day she needed something, but was scared, and I was out of patience, so I said "Put your brave boots on, and go get it."

That phrase has entered our lexicon. Some days she can find her brave boots, and some days not. But she at least knows she has some.