Saturday, October 23, 2010

meet jack


This is Kiddo's jack-o-lantern. He lives in the pantry, which doubles as a root cellar in the cold weather*. She made him with her daddy at a church activity the other night. (I stayed home and put Secundus to bed.) She was excited to go see pumpkins, although slightly confused at our insistence that there would be no "pumpkin cars" (Cinderella's coach) for her to ride in. She, understandably, thought that's what pumpkins do, is become cars. But, once we remedied that misconception, the activity was a success.

Kiddo got to help take out the seeds and the "pumpkin goo." She was not allowed to touch "the really sharp knife." Then she "broke" out the eyes, nose, and mouth. She was thrilled to have such an adventure with her daddy.

"I made this pumpkin with my dad," she told me with pride and love.


*At the time of this picture, we'd had two warm days, and I noticed Jack was a little droopy. So we took a picture, fast. I gave Kiddo strict instructions not to touch Jack, just sit next to him. "He has hair in his mouth" she noted. Yes, DON'T TOUCH. After the picture, I dumped his moldy self out.