Friday, October 22, 2010

choices

I wanted Kiddo to fall asleep quickly tonight. So I was sort of hoping she wouldn't take a nap. But quiet time (although not terribly quiet) is sacrosanct at this house, and I was determined to get my time today, even if only for the sake of Babs, who needs a little personal mom time each day. I just wanted fifteen minutes to pretend to sleep while Babs sat on my belly chewing on cow and making noises.

It's always a tough choice. Do I want quiet time for me in the afternoon (thus more patience and enjoyment of the children, plus blogposts for you!) and a very pleasant child in the evening followed by hours of stay-in-bed fun, or no rest for me, and a tired and "delicate" child in the evening who at least falls asleep almost immediately? I never know.

Today Kiddo sacked out in those fifteen minutes I was determined to have apart, actually, in the last five. So I'm getting some quiet time to myself today (and thank goodness, the kitchen is already clean, so I don't have to feel guilt about that) but we'll be fighting that child about staying in bed for hours tonight. She'll go to bed easily enough. But she'll need to go the bathroom at least once. She'll want to read. She may leave bed. She may need some water. And eventually, she'll ask for covers.

That's when we'll know we've almost won. We'll go wrap her up, and she'll finally fall asleep. The question is, will this be before, or after, I wanted to go to bed myself?