Thursday, August 12, 2010

words from kiddo

Kiddo has a lot to say. Her vocabulary now allows her to express a lot of ideas, and she has plenty to say. Although I'm tired in the morning when she pads into our room and onto our bed, most mornings I try to be sociable, because of all the things she will tell me. Here are some of her thoughts recently (not all in the morning):

I told her ants had six feet. She replied, "Ants have six feet. I only have two feets. And momma has two feets. And I have a bot-tom, and momma has a bot-tom." [She appears to have dropped the substitute "bobbin" for bottom, sadly. "Momma says bottom" she insists. I do.]

This morning Daddy was the lucky partner in one of her favorite games, 'under the covers,' where you put the blankets over your head. As she looked around she exclaimed "I found feets! on your legs!"

At the end of Aunt M's last visit, she wrote some things on the mirror for Kiddo, and included a picture of a signature turtle. Since Kiddo learned all her letters, and she loves to identify them. She read: "I-L-O-V-E-Y-O-U spells turtle!"

I was taking out the garbage the other day, and she was only wearing her underwear. I asked her if she wanted to come, and explained it would require her to put back on her clothes and shoes. "No," she countered, "I want to go in my belly and my toes!" I went alone.

She loves the television, and would watch many, many hours every day if I allowed (as it is she only watches some hours). I usually tell her as we start how many shows or how many minutes we can watch, even if it doesn't really mean anything to her. Yesterday she requested that we "watch TV for some long minutes."

Today she informed me that she was wearing "a skirt, a shirt, some underwear, and two blue eyes."

Then there are the things she says all the time, as she's learning how the English language works. Like "No, that mines!" or "No Daddy, you don'ts have to go."

Or the most common phrase I seem to hear: "Mama, where are you?" As if there was any place to hide in this little apartment.

The things she say that just make me smile the most though are the simplest. A lot of time when she gets something she's asked for or wants she says "thanks." It's good to hear that she's learning gratitude, or at least manners.

Then I offer her something that she wants, and she says simply "yes." Given how much trouble we've had learning that word, it is beautiful to my ears.