Friday, August 10, 2012

not potty training

Somehow I was able to postpone life when I potty trained my first child. Not so much this time. As well as helping her learn to use the toilet, I've also had to get an air conditioner fixed, visit the doctor, and, this is a big one, take care of an older sibling. Consistency has not been our friend for this effort. But, I told you this post was not about potty training.

This morning I had a doctor's appointment, so I left my kids with a friend. I was gone much longer than I expected, but she seemed unfazed by it all. When I got there, Kiddo was at the door, telling me she felt sick. I started to brush her off with a "you're just hungry" or "do you need to go to the bathroom?" (ARGH! potty sneaked in again! This gives you an insight to the real focus of my life right now.) But then my friend chimed in, "I just took her temperature, it was102." I stopped while I considered this, Kiddo? Sick? I put my hand out to her neck, and sure enough, it was abnormally warm.

I took her (and her sister) straight home, and put her to bed, per her request. She feel asleep within minutes. Then I fed the second kid, and put her to bed.

For sure, I don't ever want to my kids to be sick, but is it okay if I revel in the quiet two hours that are the silver lining of this grey cloud?

Note: I actually only got 15 minutes. But oh, the idea of 2 hours to myself...